Bezos’ Blue Origin slams NASA for giving Musk a .9 billion contract

Bezos’ Blue Origin slams NASA for giving Musk a $2.9 billion contract



Blue Origin, the space company of Amazon Founder Jeff Bezos, has filed a protest against NASA for awarding $2.9 billion contract to Elon Musk-run for landing astronauts on the Moon by 2024.


The US space agency was expected to pick two lunar lander prototypes (including one of Blue Origin’s) but funding cut from US Congress led the agency to select over Blue Origin.



In a 175-page protest, Blue Origin has accused NASA of misjudging several parts of its proposal for its lunar lander called Blue Moon, reports The Verge.


“NASA has executed a flawed acquisition for the Human Landing System programme and moved the goalposts at the last minute,” Blue Origin said in a statement on Monday.


Calling NASA’s decision “high risk,” the company said that the decision “eliminates opportunities for competition, significantly narrows the supply base, and not only delays, but also endangers America’s return to the Moon. Because of that, we’ve filed a protest with the GAO”.


NASA was yet to comment on the Blue Origin’s protest.


Musk responded to Blue Origin’s protest with a tweet: “Can’t get it up (to orbit) lol”.


The US space agency last week picked to develop the first commercial lander and take the next two US astronauts to the moon.


The contract is part of NASA’s Artemis programme, which aims to return astronauts to the moon by 2024 as a stepping stone to the first human mission to Mars.


Four astronauts aboard the SpaceX’s Crew Dragon-2 arrived at the Space Station this week for a six-month mission.


–IANS


na/

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *