Russia’s Alexei Navalny to end prison hunger strike on 24th day

Russia’s Alexei Navalny to end prison hunger strike on 24th day



Imprisoned opposition leader says he is ending his hunger strike after getting medical attention and being warned by his doctors that continuing it would put his life at risk.


In an Instagram post on Friday afternoon, the 24th day of his hunger strike, Navalny said he will continue to demand a visit from his doctor to address a loss of sensation in his legs and arms the main demand the politician announced when launched his hunger strike.



But he said he would stop the strike after having been examined by non-prison doctors, something he called a huge progress.


Thanks to the huge support of good people across the country and around the world, we have made huge progress, Navalny said in his message. Two months ago, my requests for medical help were prompting smirks. I wasn’t given any medications….Thanks to you, now I have been examined by a concilium of civilian doctors twice.


Navalny said he would start coming out of the hunger strike on Friday and the process of ending it will take 24 days.


The 44-year-old politician, who was arrested earlier this year and is serving a 2 -year sentence, began the hunger strike on March 31 to protest prison authorities’ refusal to let his doctors visit after he developed severe back pain and numbness in his legs.


Officials insisted Navalny was getting all the medical help he needs, but Navalny said he received effectively no treatment.


On Wednesday night, another round of mass protests demanding his freedom swept across A top aide said Wednesday night’s protests seemed to have brought a compromise from Russian authorities on getting Navalny the medical help he had demanded when launching the hunger strike.


Navalny, who is President Vladimir Putin’s most well-known critic, was arrested in January upon his return from Germany, where he had spent five months recovering from a nerve agent poisoning he blames on the accusations that Russian officials reject.

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *